From the Atlanta Junior League cookbook, Atlanta Cooknotes (1982):
Caramel Popcorn (A Christmas favorite)
- 2 cups popcorn kernels (I use 3-4 microwave bags)
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white corn syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Pop kernels (I just use the bags in the microwave) and set aside in a large ovenproof pan. In a saucepan, combine margarine, brown sugar, and syrup. Boil five minutes and remove from heat. Stir in salt, baking soda, and vanilla extract. Pour mixture over popcorn and toss. Bake in a preheated 250 degree oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool and store in airtight containers.
- I use my largest stainless steel bowl, the one so big it doesn’t fit in the cabinet under the counter.
- Pour the caramel on in thirds and toss. You’ll get more even coverage that way.
- Use a spoon with a long handle to stir it. I use the spoon from a salad set.