I love to eat. Home food, elegant food, cheap food, expensive food–I love it all. Now for the punchline. God or Fate or whatever you believe in is laughing at me as I lose one food group after another to an aging body. I didn’t miss pine nuts so much when I became allergic to them, but an allergy to apples is just not funny. A couple of years ago I became lactose intolerant and just recently I discovered that bread gives me serious gastric distress. Bread! The Food of Life. How can this be? I’ve even been cut off from fast food because my car window no longer works so I can’t go throw the drive-thru. I’m waiting for the huge weight loss, but not so much, yet.
That said, I am more obsessed with food than ever, particularly the wondrous treats in which I can no longer partake. Let me share some of my most valued treats with you (some I can still have, most I can’t):
1. Split a banana, fill it with peanut butter and sprinkle it with chocolate chips
2. Spread peanut butter on bread, top with marshmallows and run under the broiler until the marshmallows are brown. Top with another piece of toast with peanut butter.
3. Melt one pound of Boars head white American cheese with milk to make it smooth. Add salsa to taste. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
4. Spread slices of bread with butter and sprinkle generously with sugar and cinnamon. Run under the broiler to toast.
5. Mix bite-sized chunks of apples with flavored yogurt and raisins. Add grapes and nuts if you feel like it.
6. Never underestimate the restorative value of home-made cookie dough. I make really good chocolate chip cookies, and the dough is delicious.
This is only six but I am having food cravings, and I’d like to share even if I can’t have them myself any more.
Leave a Reply